Eye strain is a common problem for many of us, especially when we sit in front of a computer screen for the majority of the day. However, if you ignore eye strain, you could develop some serious vision issues. Read on to learn some simple tricks you can do at home to strengthen your eyes. Eye strain is a common problem for many of us, especially when we sit in front of a computer screen for the majority of the day. However, if you ignore eye strain, you could develop some serious vision issues. Read on to learn some simple tricks you can do at home to strengthen your eyes.
Work Those Muscles
Eye exercises are designed to strengthen your eye muscles, help you focus and stimulate your brain’s vision center. As with any muscle, it only gets stronger if you work it out! As you continue to do these exercises, you will begin to develop more control over your eye muscles which can improve your vision.
Exercises are unique to each individual and can also be based on age and specific eye problems. These are some very simple techniques you can do to exercise your eyes at home:
• Change your focus from an object that is close to you to an object further away and back again.
• Cover one eye and focus on different objects.
• Concentrate on looking at a solitary object.
• Follow a pattern to build your eye muscles.
There are many other exercises you can try at home to help strengthen your eyes and combat eye strain. Try one or a combination of all six to develop a routine that can help you work those eye muscles.
1. Try rubbing your palms together to generate some heat and then putting your hands over your closed eyes and applying some gentle pressure. Allow the heat from your palms to warm your eyes and relax them for a few minutes.
2. Computer-induced eye strain contributes to a lack of blinking which can dry out your eyes. A simple exercise goal is to try and blink once every four seconds to keep your eyes lubricated. Sounds simple but when you are engrossed in computer tasks, it is easy to forget.
3. When you feel your shoulders tightening up and your neck starting to ache, you probably start some relaxing neck rolls to loosen up. You can do the same for your eyes. Close your eyes and roll them in circles. This will help keep your eyes well lubricated and can ease the strain.
4. In addition to the exercise mentioned above where you adjust your focus from an object near and then one far, you can also practice visual scanning. Focus on one or two items to start and then take in everything in the room around you, even looking out the window if you can. This allows your eyes to be in a constant state of motion.
5. It’s also important to take a break from that computer screen and focus on something, anything, else for a few seconds or better yet, a few minutes if you can. You should try to do this at least once an hour.
6. Another exercise to help avoid strain and strengthen those eye muscles is to practice the art of glancing. Sit down and close your eyes. Glance as far up as you possibly can and hold your head there for a moment. After a few seconds, look down and repeat this process for about 30 seconds. Now, with your eyes still closed, do this again only look to the right and then to the left. Continue to repeat for about 30 seconds.
Each of these exercises is designed to help keep your eyes lubricated and those muscles working.
Importance of Regular Eye Exams & LASIK in Orange County
If your eye strain is causing you vision issues, it’s important to visit an eye care professional to make sure there isn’t something more serious going on. Just like any health checkup, it is important to get your eyes checked regularly. Visit Dr. Ghosheh and his team at Advanced Eye Medical. Don’t let issues with your vision become permanent. Schedule your consultation today.