The rising trend of “green” healthcare has a DIY cure for everything. From ear infections to lack of energy, there’s a natural and effective way to treat almost anything. But did you know that there’s a natural way to improve your eyesight? It sounds suspicious, but it can work. With proper relaxation, training and nutrition, your eyesight can get better, or at least keep from getting worse.
Relaxing Your Eyes
For most people, your eyes only get rest while you are sleeping. This is, in fact, some of the most important rest your eyes can get. It allows the muscles and parts of the eye to fully relax, rest, and recover. Getting at least 8 hours of aptly-named “shut eye” can help your eyes be ready for healthy vision.
Another type of important rest for your eyes is small stints of rest during the day. Most people look at small type on screens frequently throughout the day. This constant, intense focus causes strain on our eyes, and a quick break here and there can make a big difference. Shoot for a 10 minute break for every 50 minutes spent focusing on small writing. During that break, remember to focus on an object farther away to work different muscles in the eye and give the tired muscles a chance to relax.
Training Your Eyes
Your eyes have muscles, and muscles can be trained. It used to be thought that problems with the lens caused poor vision. Now, eye experts are finding that muscles in and around the whole eye and not just the lens are responsible for vision. Therefore, if you can work the right muscles, you can train your eyes to see more effectively. Daily exercise for several weeks can bring naturally improved vision. Try these exercises to improve vision, or for more advanced exercises, try the Bates Method.
- Palming: Warm muscles can work better. Rub your palms together for a few seconds to create heat, then place your palms over your eyes with your fingertips crossed over your forehead. Leave for about 5 to 10 seconds to let the heat relax your eye muscles. Repeat 3 times. Be sure to do this before and after eye exercises.
- Eye Rolls: Look as far up as possible, as far down as possible, as far right as possible, and as far left as possible. Repeat a few times, then begin to roll the eyes, first counter-clockwise, then clockwise. Repeat 10 times each direction.
- Focusing: Grab a pen or pencil and hold it out at arm’s length. Try to focus on the tip of the pen or pencil as you slowly move the object in toward your face, and then back out again. Repeat this maneuver 10 times.
- Massaging: Rub your temples in a clockwise, then counter-clockwise motion. Then, massage the middle part of the eyebrows and the bottom of the eye near the nose. Repeat for 20 times in each spot, for each eye.
Nutrition for Your Eyes
The final part of the natural eyesight trifecta is good nutrition. Like the rest of your body, your eyes need specific vitamins and minerals for peak function. Naturalnews.com gives some great ideas for eye-healthy foods that contain powerhouse nutrients for the eyes.
- Antioxidants: Leafy greens, pumpkin, carrot, yellow pepper, and sweet potato
- Sulfur, lecithin, and cysteine: Garlic, onions, dairy, coconut, and legumes
- Anthocyanin: Blueberries, acai, and goji berries
- Fatty acids: Salmon, trout, mackerel and other cold water fish
- Vitamin C: Broccoli, citrus fruits, and Brussel sprouts
- Vitamin E and Copper: Tree nuts
- Zinc: Beef, wild game, and eggs
Natural Treatment Doesn’t Have to Exclude a Doctor
Eating right, working out your eyes, and getting some rest should all give your vision a boost. However, not all remedies work for all people. Many people take years of work to see improvement. Everyone’s eyes are different, and these methods aren’t guaranteed to give you 20/20 vision.
The best bet for great vision is a strong combination of naturally proven methods and the knowledge and guidance of an eye doctor. The doctors at Advanced Eye Medical are here to help you in your quest for better vision, with or without prescription intervention. Schedule a consultation today and get your eyes seeing better naturally.